August 02, 2009

The Spellman Files - Lisa Lutz


The Spellman Files was not a book I had ever intended to read - not that I had ever intended not to read it either - it just wasn't really on my reading radar at all. That was until I stepped into a bookshop in Sydney last weekend that had a very clever promotional stand for The Spellman Files and Lutz's other books in this series. As you have probably heard me say before - I am a marketer's dream - anything set up to attract customers and I will fall for it - particularly when it comes to books.

In the case of this book though, I am happy to say, I feel comfortable with the fact that I was drawn in to handing over my hard earned cash.

The Spellman Files is the first book in a series focusing on the Spellman family - and in particular the eldest daughter in the family, 28 year old Izzy. Izzy's family run their own private detective agency with all the family except for Izzy's older brother David joining in to solve the mysteries that come their way - some more exciting than others.

I loved the fact that although this book could probably come under the category of "chick lit" there was nothing really saccharine sweet about it - the writing was sharp and the author has utilised several different narrative techniques which I found kept me interested in the plot and the character development.

I found this book clever and witty - I'm not sure if I will move on to the other books in the series at this stage but I would definitely keep them in mind when I was looking for a fun, light read in the future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh I have always pondered about this book though I haven't ever bought it or been quite tempted to now if I see it anywhere for cheap I might give it a whirl.

Karen said...

Hi Savidgereads - I think if you can find it somewhere for not too much it is definitely worth a look.