January 02, 2010

Bright Star


My partner and I went with some friends last night to see Bright Star the movie about poet John Keats and the love of his life Fanny Brawne.

I am not generally a fan of poetry - I would love to be able to read a poem and understand and appreciate it but I am afraid my reading material needs to be much more literal for me to take it on board. Add to that some very bad memories of studying poetry at university and it's no wonder I really did not know all that much about John Keats - the man or his poetry.

Bright Star has changed all that for me and I may just have found a medium for me to appreciate poetry through.

This movie is one of the most beautiful movies I have ever watched - the scenery, costumes, lighting and camera work are all divine but the thing that really made the movie for me was Australian actress Abbie Cornish in the role as Fanny. I thought Cornish played this role to perfection and was simply stunning as Fanny.

The movie follows the relationship of Keats and Brawne from the beginning and it paces the story really well - staying true to the time in which they lived and clearly showing the impediments that were in the way of them continuing their relationship and marrying.

Such a beautiful story - can't wait to see this one again.

11 comments:

Darlene said...

I'm so envious that you've seen this film! It seems to be taking forever to show around here.

Karen said...

Hi Darlene - I hope it gets to you soon - it is wonderful!

kay - Infinite Shelf said...

I hadn't heard about this movie, but looking at the trailer, I really want to see it now. Glad to hear you enjoyed it, it looks beautiful!

verity said...

I really want to see that but I missed it when it was out here.

Karen said...

Hi Kay - I would definitely recommend seeing this if it sounds at all interesting to you.

Hi Verity - that usually happens to me with movies I want to see too! Luckily I had friends that organised me to come and see this one so I did not miss it.

Nadia said...

Wow! Sounds like such a great film. I'll have to check it out when it becomes available on dvd. Cheers for the heads up.

Anonymous said...

We will start playing this at the movie theater I work at tomorrow. I'll definitely poke my head in - glad you liked it so much, and that it has gotten you more interested in poetry. It's never an easy medium - I struggle with really appreciating it too.

JaneGS said...

Thanks for the great review--It's on my Netflix queue for next week and I'm v excited. I've been a Keats fan for so long and I've always felt his life was so tragically short and poignant.

Karen said...

Hi Nadia - I hope you like it - as you can probable tell - I did!

Hi Sarah - I have always struggled so much with poetry - I have kind of made my peace with it but at times I feel like I am missing out on something!

Hi Jane - it was definitely a short, tragic life - I had no idea just how much before seeing the movie. I hope you enjoy watching it.

Iliana said...

This sounds wonderful. I hadn't heard of it but it is now going on my must see list!

Karen said...

Hi Iliana - I'm glad I could let you know about it - I hope you enjoy it!