June 05, 2010

What Reading Means For Me...


Simon from Stuck In A Book issued a challenge this week asking us to post a photo, picture or painting that represented reading and books to us - the real challenge being that the image couldn't actually contain a book.

The photo I have chosen to use was taken by me when I was sitting on the verandah of a rented cottage during a relaxing holiday in Kiama on the New South Wales South Coast a couple of years ago. The weather was gloriously wild and changeable during our time there and I spent a great portion of every day just sitting on that verandah consuming the books I had brought along with me. To me reading is not only an education and a constant learning process but an escape - an escape from my every day life into a world of creativity, imagination and amazing characters.

I like the outlook of the ocean from this photos but I also like the view of the white fence - maybe a metaphor for how my reading often creates a barrier from the real world for me - just for a little while.

I took many photos from that balcony and every time I look at them I am reminded of how relaxing it was to just sit there drinking cups of tea and reading, reading, reading...

6 comments:

verity said...

oooh - another sea view :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely...I can just imagine sitting on that porch with a good book and being oblivious to everything but the ocean and the story.

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

A beautiful picture and I love your comment on books creating a temporary barrier from reality (and completely agree!)

Molly said...

absolutely beautiful - and serene - and perfect. Thank you for sharing!

Danielle said...

What a gorgeous view. And a perfect choice I think!

Karen said...

Hi Verity - I know - I can't get enough!

Hi Softdrink - Totally! Wish I was there right now!

Hi Claire - Most of the time I cope ok in reality but it is so nice to have a break now and again!

Hi Molly - you are welcome! Glad you enjoyed it.


Hi Danielle - I definitely think so!